More than 20 California facilities were included in the Leapfrog Group’s annual “Top Hospitals” lists released Wednesday, Healthcare DIVE reports (Flanagan, Healthcare DIVE, 12/2).
Details of Lists
Leapfrog’s lists recognized hospitals that met its patient safety, care quality and efficiency standards.
More than 1,600 hospitals filled out the Leapfrog Hospital Survey, an eligibility requirement for the lists. Organizations also had to meet certain criteria for patient outcomes, hospital resources and management practices and had to earn an “A” grade on Leapfrog’s latest Hospital Safety Scores, which the group released in October (“Top Hospitals” methodology, December 2015).
This year’s lists included a total of 98 facilities, including:
- 62 “Top Urban Hospitals;”
- 24 “Top Rural Hospitals;” and
- 12 “Top Children’s Hospitals” (Leapfrog release, 12/2).
Forty-one hospitals made the list for the first time this year, while 36 were recognized for the second straight year (Barnet, Becker’s Infection Control & Clinical Quality, 12/2).
The group noted that top-performing hospitals tended to:
- Excel on maternity care;
- Have lower infection rates;
- Have fewer readmissions;
- Have shorter lengths of stay; and
- Have higher survival rates for high-risk procedures (Leapfrog release, 12/2).
Overall, 21 California hospitals were included on Leapfrog’s list of top urban hospitals.
Two California facilities were named “Top Children’s Hospitals”:
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles; and
- Children’s Hospital of Orange County.
No California facilities made the “Top Rural Hospitals” list (Leapfrog report, 12/2).